Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Murphys Law at work

Anything that could possibly go wrong, did... no, not true. I have no doubt that things can get worse, they can always get worse. But seriously, I have been 'in transit' for the last NINE hours.

It all began with some 'hightened' security in the CVG airport because of a threat earlier on Tuesday. Going through Security Clearance was harder than getting an appointment at the gyno (which has a 3 month lead time), and let me tell you it was almost as bad.

Flight was delayed slightly, connecting flight in Detroit was delayed slightly.... we get on the plane, it pushes off, we head to the runway but suddenly the pilot turns off the engines. We waited for 20 minutes for take off clearance from Chicago. Yes, we couldnt leave Detroit because Chicago said they had too many planes flying in and we had to be bumped to later. After waiting the 20 minutes, they make us wait another 25, then we finally take off.

Im glad I didnt eat at the airport, because if I had the passengers around me would have gotten a good look at my dinner. The flight was SO bumpy that I actually pulled out the little vomit bag (just in case). We approach Chicago but the pilot tells us we have to circle around for 20 minutes because we are on queue.

When its finally our turn, the pilot starts his crazy descent... the plane is shaking up and down, to the sides, completely out of control. I look out the window and see nothing but white (and some shining lights). Im exhausted... the wheels are lowered, we are getting close, we are finally in Chicago! But wait... the plane kicks up and starts going higher. It retracts the wheels... Im angry that we are going to spin around waiting some more but the pilot comes on and says "Sorry folks, as you can see we didnt land. We lost stability around 6 miles away and with the storm couldnt regain it. Also, visibility right now is zero. We dont have enough fuel to keep on circling and waiting for the storm, so we are going to Minneapolis."

After the additional 50 minute bumpy ride, we arrive to a windy city and NEGATIVE FOURTEEN degrees (without windchill factor). We get off... I am wearing clothes for 35 degrees (not -14). Tired, angry, cold... I receive a voucher for hotel, dinner and a rescheduled flight. The icing on the cake... I am also not allowed to get my suitcase.

So here I am... too angry to sleep, sitting (and sleeping) on the same clothes Ive worn almost all day.

The hotel... a Days Inn. It doesnt even begin to compare to the W in Downtown Chicago which is where I should have been.
The dinner... its a 13$ voucher, that is only accepted by this obscure place near the hotel that is taking 45 minutes to deliver. Watch out with the feast now, dont go spending the whole 13$ at once.
And now... for my rescheduled flight... according to the airline I wont be arriving in Chicago til noon tomorrow. So the plan is to wake up in 4.5 hours (at 5 AM Central) and go wait at the airport on a wait list for every flight that leaves before mine.

All this crap makes me feel that much more alone... call me drama-queen, but it feels like shit when all this crap happens and I get to sit in this old hotel, have noone to report my 'arrival' to and have no voicemails...

You can never deny Murphy's law. If something can go wrong... it will.

No comments:

SEARCH THIS BLOG