Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Death to New Years Resolution

It is January 1st 2007 2008 (you know its going to take a while to get used to the 8). I once again started the year in an airplane…. I once again flew from the coast to the midwest, but this time my whole world is different.

I sat on that plane for 4 hours and did some thinking… I thought about new years resolutions… and how silly they really are. New Years resolutions get dropped once the year is no longer new… so why have one if you wont stick to it. If its important, it shouldn’t be a New years resolution… it should just be. So this year I will have no New Years resolutions. No ‘loose 20 pounds’ resolution, no ‘save to buy a house’ resolution, no ‘exercise more’ resolution…. you change your life when you change your habits, and you change your habits every moment of the day... not in a New Years resolution.

I think this perspective is really a result of a lot of changes that have happened to my way of thinking… I sat on the plane and I reviewed some of the ways I've changed since I graduated from college. I realized that with vacation time being over, the new year starting and my birthday approaching it seems like an appropriate time to come out with my ‘life plan’… I've been cooking this up in my head for a while but it feels like its time to start getting it on paper.

This isn’t about religion, and it isn’t about selfish individual self-fulfillment... To oversimply the whole thing, I would say my plan is to be and without reservations- be well, be balanced, be true to myself and be the best that I can be.

In my head the plan is really a fluid idea of who I am and who I want to be and do. It is about what I want to stand for and the way I want to live. Because whether my last day is today or in 80 years, I want to look back and be happy with who I have been. I want to look back and know that I worked to be the best version of myself. I want to look at every action and not doubt if it was right or wrong.

I've been working a small list of principles to live by to help me get there… I also finally put on paper my 'bucket list'. But I will post them later this week... my ride is here to get me at the airport ( few things I appreciate more than being picked up at the airport… )

Pree

No comments:

SEARCH THIS BLOG