Wednesday, December 5, 2007

snow fall

Today was such a special day for me, and I want to share it with you. I want to document it so I never forget how it felt, how beautiful it was and how amazing life really is if we only stop to appreciate the simple things in life.

I felt this way a few weeks ago, but I never documented it... so this time Im making it a point to not forget. I want to live it over and over again. Dont go thinking it's something crazy, like a marriage proposal or winning the lottery... quite on the contrary, quite simply today it snowed. And everything about it was beautiful.

Before I went to bed, I knew it was supposed to snow the whole night. Somehow I woke up 30 minutes before my alarm, and instead of rolling over and enjoying every one last minute I could have in bed, I jumped out to look out the window... I was like a little kid on Christmas morning, eager to see if Santa had come. I was awestruck. The snow was falling so fast that it was drawing white stripes over everything I could see. But it didnt disturb the world like rain seems to... the tree branches werent swaying wildly, there was nothing rushing on the street, and there were no loud noises... it was so calm, so peaceful that all I could do was stare. I stared for a long time. I watched the snow flakes pile on top of skinny tree branches, and flakes disolve as they touched my window. I watched how my neighbours Christmas lights reflected red and green on the snow around it. I focused on individual flakes and I focused on the whole image... I dont think there is anything in the world that matches how peaceful snow falling out of my window was. It made me remember how beautiful the world really is.

When I was outside, all I could do was feel the snow flakes melt once they touched my skin. It was a very different feeling. I saw big snow flakes fall on my hand and on my cheecks, but they just vanished without me really feeling them! All I could feel was a very light touch... like the most gentle kiss or a very light breeze. It made me remember how beautiful the smallest details really are.

Lastly, when I was at work, I had the most bizarre moments. Every time I walked by a window, I would be caught by surprise. I would see a very white world outside... it was like a black and white film. I had to watch out not to be drawn in and stop on my tracks... It was the same feeling you get when you go through a big haircut... everytime you see yourself in the mirror you are caught by surprise, and then feel silly for forgetting the big change you were well aware of. It made me see how beautiful the unexpected can be.

I loved looking outside, because it was so different and so beautiful and so peaceful. But what I loved the most was that something that is so mundane to so many people made me so happy. And thats what I dont want to forget... just like the changes in the leaves that came during the fall, and the snow fall today, I want to remember to see the beauty in all the little things. Because life and the world around us is beautiful, and I want to see it everyday. I dont want to grow accustomed to the beauty in the small things... whether its snow fall, a cup of hot tea or someone holding the door for me.

Life is beautiful. And I want to see the beauty in it everyday.

Pree

No comments:

SEARCH THIS BLOG