Monday, November 26, 2007

thanksgiving 2.0

I was never a big fan of Thanksgiving. See, Im not American and where I come from we didnt have pilgrims and all that jazz... (we had slaves and Jesuits that forced natives to convert but we shall not discuss that). See, for me thanksgiving has always been at the bottom of my I-cant-wait-for-this-holiday list. It was always just a couple of extra days to help my mom clean the house... all it gave me were some clorox smelling hands and tons of dishes to wash. When I was in college, it was reason to drive for 10 hours or get caught up on house chores (especially the annual and much needed bathroom cleaning day). The only thing that seemed nice was that it appeared to be a breath of 'fresh air' but really it was the moment where it hit you that you were goming back to classes to earn the last 65% of your grade in 3 weeks time. Always looked like it would be good but in the end just disappointed me.

This year it was much better... I got to watch tv for hours... eat fabulous food... have the most useless conversations... and catch up on sleep!

So I got thinking about my previous bleak perspective and I tried to figure out what all the hype was about. Turkey is good and all, but it sure doesnt make me jump with joy. After about 45 seconds of thinking I realized that I had it all wrong! Isnt thanksgiving really about crazy shopping, eat til you die and TV marathons? Since that is so... I now love to observe the holiday. Thanksgiving has officially been upgraded to my number 2 preferred holiday... just behind xmas (seeing that I actually things I want instead of having to pay for them).

I know Im a disgrace to this 'very important american tradition' but I dont really think I will be tested on this when I take my citizenship test next month. Unless of course, they are watching... but you could say I have bigger issues than disgracing thanksgiving.

Pree


PS: Favorite quote from the weekend...

Me: 'His job is to please me!'
Point Dexter: 'As opposed to pleasure you...?'
Me: 'Well.. actually I wouldnt mind that!'

No comments:

SEARCH THIS BLOG