Wednesday, November 7, 2007

pseudo-what?

As I sat here thinking on past relationships and many guy friends Ive had I realized that I sure tend to have pseudos. I thought it was just me, but apparently a pseudo-gf/bf is pretty common. I found a great post from a blog I read that captures the essence of the 'pseudo'. See an abbreviated version below:
If you're like me, you've been in this situation. You're single (or not). You know a guy who's single (or not). You're not dating each other, but you hang out an awful lot, even doing "couple-ish" stuff like movies and dinner. Other people think you ARE dating. The parents wish you two were together. In fact, you may have feelings for this man - or vice versa. But heck, you really aren't sure because things are rather ambiguous between the two of you.
Yes, I am talking about the PSEUDO-BOYFRIEND. I think about how much time I've spent one on one with guys I considered friends, and how some of those situations crossed the line. We were essentially using each other to fill that void of not having somebody in our lives (or they are not near by). Our outings were really dates in everything but name. One way to test if you've got a pseudo-boyfriend is this... Think about what you do with this person. Would you be hanging out with them and doing the same things if you had a REAL boyfriend? If the answer is no, chances are, you've become a pseudo-girlfriend.

I'm rather tired of being a pseudo-girlfriend. Being the movie date, taking them shopping, folding their laundry, helping them study, cooking for them, running errands and doing favors. It's like being in a relationship minus all the frosting. No stability, no kissing, no sex, no flowers, no hope for anything else. Thanks for nothing! Don't get me wrong. I love my guy friends, and I love BEING a friend. But noone deserves being taken advantage of. (full version here)

I know Ive been guilty of being someone's pseudo and having a pseudo. Even when I had a boyfriend. For the right there and then it seems great; but long term its a disfavor to myself or to whoever I was really dating.

No comments:

SEARCH THIS BLOG