Wednesday, October 10, 2007

hitting the books... again.

This week I had the amazing opportunity of hearing two amazing speakers - Malcom Gladwell and Brian Uzzi. Yet another perk of working for corporate america! I did learn a lot at this work conference but hearing these two speakers were really the icing on the cake.

As expected Malcolm drew his talk from 'Blink'. The Q&A session afterwards was really insightful but for the most part he just reminded me of all the cool things I learned when I read Blink. The guy has an amazing sense of humor too which obviously makes it all even better.

Now... Brian Uzzi. This man impressed me tremendously; everything from his delivery to the insights to the humor! He talked primarily about social networks. As we all know, financial capital (i.e. cash) has long been replaced by intellectual capital and the value that each individual adds to the business. But now a change has started and as intellectual capital supply increases (and its value decreases), social network capital will become more and more valuable. He covered ideas we are all well familiar with from the Tipping Point like mavens vs connectors. He talked about trust in relationships and how it can be detrimental to building networks (seems counter-intuitive but it really makes sense). I was so impressed by him and all his knowledge! So much so that I think I want to go to Northwestern so I can have him as my MBA professor. I know I had said that driving 5hrs to Chicago every Saturday for 3 years is way too much but I can deal with taht in 3-5 years when I actually have to do it.

First I gotta hit the books and get over the top GMAT scores... but for now Im making dinner and hopefully making it to the post office before they close.

Pree


PS: Other than this work has been really stretching me. Its amazing how much Ive learned but at the same time it can be so frustrating! It takes me 3 times as long to do everything. I know its a learning process but you know how impatient I am!

No comments:

SEARCH THIS BLOG