Monday, November 16, 2009

Some wisdom by Jodi Piccoult in 'Handle With Care'

I've been reading a LOT lately. And in all my books I have been finding little pieces of wisdon... be them encouragement, be them a challenge, a laughter or just something to think about. I decided from now on I will capture some of those words in my blog. As a way to remind myself of the many lessons I learn as I devour book after book...

Quotations from Jodi Picoult's Handle With Care which I just read a couple of months ago, and also a few other books I read by Jodi...

* "Fault lines. These are the places where the earth breaks apart. These are the spots where earthquakes originate, where volcanos are born. Or in other words: the world is crumbling under us; it's the solid ground beneath our feet that's an illusion" (Handle with Care)

* "You put someone up on a pedestal, and all of a sudden, from that perspective, you notice what's wrong (...). You spend all your time and energy making it right, and all the while, you are falling apart yourself. you dont even realize what you look like, how far you've deteriotated, because you only have eyes for someone else" pg. 411

* "It was possible that a miracle wasn't something that happened to you, but rather, something that didn't"

"It takes two people to make a lie work: the person who tells it, and the one who believes it." (Vanishing Acts)

* "You make yourself strong because it's expected of you. You become confident because someone beside you is unsure. You turn into the person others need you to be. "(Vanishing Acts)

* "Change is a funny thing. We never are quite sure what we are becoming or even why. Then one day we look at ourselves and wonder who we are and how we got that way. Only one thing about change remains constant...it is always painful"

*"Once you had put the pieces back together, even though you may look intact, you were never quite the same as you'd been before the fall." / "The damage was permanent; there would always be scars. But even the angriest scars faded over time until it was difficult to see them written on the skin at all, and the only thing that remained was the memory of how painful it had been."

"Words are like nets - we hope they'll cover what we mean, but we know they can't possibly hold that much joy, or grief, or wonder." (Change of Heart)

"It is the things you cannot see coming that are strong enough to kill you. " (My Sister's Keeper)

night-night
pree

1 comment:

Portugal said...

I love all of Picoult's books, and "My sister's keeper" was my favorite. But that may have move to 2nd place to this book! Of course, the characters and writing style are amazing, as with all of her books. But this particular story-line is so unique and captivating. If you are a Picoult fan, you know that these are not feel-good, fuzzy slippers and hearts kind of books. All of her books are heavy, thought provoking and deep; but this book goes to an all new level. I cried, then I cried some more, and then again when my friend finished the book and was crying to me on the phone. I realize that these books are fiction, but part of Picoult's ability to connect with the reader is the fact that somewhere in the real world there are real people dealing with these problems. As a health care professional, it reminds me that you never know what else is going on in the patient's life besides the symptoms that I am treating and this book makes me even more accutely aware of my actions and assumptions of others.

SEARCH THIS BLOG