Tuesday, August 19, 2008

six words can say a lot

Last week I learnedabout a book called "Not Quite What I was Planning: Six Word Memoirs from Writers Famous and Obscure". It is a compilation of six-word memoirs. It is a New York Times bestseller and subject of hundreds of stories from The New Yorker to NPR .

"Legend has it that Hemingway was once challenged to write a story in only six words. His response? “For sale: baby shoes, never worn.” Last year, SMITH Magazine re-ignited the recountre by asking our readers for their own six-word memoirs. They sent in short life stories in droves, from the bittersweet (“Cursed with cancer, blessed with friends”) and poignant (“I still make coffee for two”) to the inspirational (“Business school? Bah! Pop music? Hurrah”) and hilarious (“I like big butts, can’t lie”). "

So I've been reading a few of them, and coming up with my own... here are some I liked/wrote:
* Love like you have lost it.
* Laughed with me, now is silent
* Pivotal discoveries: clitoris, internet, gin, you.
* Regretted tomorrow's inaction before it passed.
* Want to be loved. Cant ask.
* Feel so alone in crowded room
* Started getting old, not growning up
* Scared shitless but keep pushing along


Here is a video on the book

Six-Word Memoir book preview from SMITHmag on Vimeo.

1 comment:

Lola said...

The blogging world misses you.

SEARCH THIS BLOG